Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Twin Obsessions About the Election

During my free time, my mind lately ping-pongs between these two obsessions:

1. The Crime. How did they do it? How did the steal happen? This is like a Whodunnit. It goes back several years, at least to 2016 and possibly much earlier.  

2. How it Plays Out. This is the path forward over the next 28 days until December 14. How will Trump vindicate himself and save the nation?

There is overlap between the two topics. But the first one seems like the easy part. This is not like unravelling the Kennedy assassination. This was a blundering mess where the bad guys were caught red-handed by the cops and exposed in public while doing it. Only the mass application of wizard power from the media is keeping it all going for now. 

The crime is being solved at amazing speed by the collective efforts of not only the good guys in white hats, but by citizens around the world. It is breathtaking to behold. I have zero doubt that in the near future we will know all we want about how it was done. I've been building up a mental timeline of events as I learn more. This is not hard at all.

As far as the second one, that is much tougher. Even as I am sure Trump will win, we won't know how he does it until it is over. Partly this is because I am not a legal scholar with knowledge of the courts and how treat elections. But even if I were, I couldn't know. Trump is not going to tell us what he is going to do. He will be opaque. We can speculate, as I have been doing here, but I am sure that 90% of my details will wrong, even as I am as sure as ever of my prediction of his victory. If I'm right about the details in retrospect, it will probably be by accident.

But I'm sure it will be massive, whatever he does, bigger in scope than we thought. It make a lot of our petty worries look ridiculous. That's my prediction, at least. The good part is that Trump is taking care of it. For most of us, finding out the answer to the second topic is just a waiting of being patient for the next four weeks (or more, if it goes to the House).

No comments: