Friday, December 18, 2020

Ground Zero II: The Rematch

 Things to be moving fast in Arizona regarding the election. I am hoping to catch up on the news today regarding the audit of the Dominion voting machines (including this). To say the least, it would be very awesome if Arizona could lead the way in restoring integrity to the election result. At the moment I can only assume that my vote in Maricopa County was cancelled out by illegal ballots for Biden, or by vote switching my Trump vote to a Biden vote.  

It has been 19 years since 2001, when the Lord placed me literally with a panoramic window view of the event that transpired on September 11th (which I chose to walk away from). Now here I am again, having come all this way, finding myself at Ground Zero for another attack on the United States.

Ironically one of my vivid memories from the aftermath of that experience was watching the New York Yankees lose to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the World Series, breaking the streak of the Yankees dynasty. 

I had become a Yankees fan while living in New York because all my in-laws were yuge Yankees fans, and it was exciting to watch such consistent excellence in sports. Their run of titles at the Turn of the Millennium had seemed the embodiment of the apogee of the big party we all celebrated at the end of the Party Nineties, culminating in the All-New York Subway Series of 2000, the victory parade for which had coincided with my first day of work at my new job on lower Broadway right next to the Twin Towers. Getting off the ferry, I had weaved through the preparation for ticker tape parade walking to work that morning, along an empty, close-off lower Broadway. Sometimes life seems too surreal to be believable.

A year later, with my little favorite corner of Manhattan in ruins, it seemed fitting that the Yankees dynasty would be broken by a team from the desert with a mascot of a poisonous snake.

This time, with this Ground Zero, it's going to be different. I don't know what's going to happen over the next three weeks. It seems almost impossible to sort out the meaningful news from the inconsequential. So much information is coming in from so many directions. I've given up on trying to figure out what "must happen" between now and January 6th (for example Supreme Court decisions). I have confidence President Trump and his people know what they are doing. In hindsight it seems to work out that way, trusting Trump, and he hasn't let me down yet. Perhaps everything that needs to happen has already happened, regarding the Constitution and the Electoral College. We will find out shortly.

In the meantime I am going to go out for my daily walk in my patch of the desert. As always I look out for the poisonous snakes. This time of year they are probably in hiding, but one always has to be careful in this terrain. As for baseball, I don't follow professional sports anymore. I can't imagine caring about it.

No comments: