Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Went to a Bernie Rally Today in Salem

1988 on my mind lately, remembering the presidential race back then. That spring I was living in Salem going to college. I was very politically minded back then, and very much wanted the Democrats to win that election. When I saw that Bernie Sanders was having a rally in the Salem Auditorium Armory today, I thought it was the perfect way to reconnect with my old self from those days, and also participate in the now of 2016.  We decided not to come early and wait in line, but to arrive at the time when the doors would be opened. We knew there would be a long line already, and it would be difficult to get in, so we decided just to people watch the line as the folks went into the auditorium.We hung out under the trees by the people hawking buttons. One guy with big ear posts was selling shirts that "Fuck Trump." People yelled that phrase out from time to time, while standing in line. It was glorious fun.

 We didn't get to see Bernie, but we were happy giving up our places in the auditorium to other folks. Instead we beat the crowds out of the parking lot and went back to Portland to have dinner.

No comments: