Wednesday, May 11, 2016

1988 Revisited: Sweet as the Cherries of Memory

Visiting the Bernie Sanders rally yesterday in Salem really brought me back to my politically-obsessed college roots there.  I had more than a few flashbacks to that pivotal year of 1988.

Salem is known as the Cherry City. As the state capital of Oregon, it is home to the headquarters of many industry and trade organizations, including agricultural ones. This building is about a block away from the Armory Auditorium in North Salem.

As it happens, yesterday was (give or take a day) the anniversary of the day in 1988, when my friend Charles and I set off on what would become an beautifully surreal and epic cross-country road trip to the East Coast. He had driven up from Oakland a few days earlier, right during my finals, and when they were over, we took off in his car, going up to Portland and then heading up the Gorge.

It was my first cross-country road trip, and in many ways it was everything one would want in such a voyage when one is 24 years old---a complex discovery of America for both of us that made deep impressions on us for the rest of our lives. I feel such gratitude at having gotten the chance to live that. I have nothing but the best memories of it all, and of the people I got to know back then.

This car was parked across from the Armory Auditorium under the shade trees where we found refuge to watch the line of folks across the street waiting to get inside. The person in the chair was inviting people to "sign the car." On Red's advice, I decided not to sign.



No comments: