Saturday, January 9, 2021

Craving for Print

 It took about twenty-four hours after quitting social media to find myself craving reading material. At bedtime I found that the Penguin paperback edition of the selected works of Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) sitting on my shelf looked like the best thing I could imagine. I took it to bed and spent a glorious portion of an hour reading the Introduction. I think this will be a project for 2021---to read some of the works of Johnson, and maybe, just maybe, to tackle Boswell.

So far I've learned from the Introduction how Johnson had a full life before met Boswell in 1762, and that the Johnson depicted by Boswell reflects mostly the later, mature years of the famous Doctor.

There is something so nice in absorbing this. I'm so glad to be rid of that social media platform. I love it that I am reading perhaps the most egregious example of writings by the white male Anglo-patriarchy in the history of the world. It seems like time.

No comments: