Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Once More to the Ironwood

 In a few minutes, I'm going to take a walk out to the little patch of undeveloped desert, where the ironwood stands by the wash, with the saguaro and the palo verde close by. I will look out over the mountains to the west and appreciate their ruggedness, as I do. I will feel lucky to have this little bit of the desert that is not mine, but which I get to enjoy in solitude when I need that, which is frequently.

Big changes are coming, however. A couple weeks ago I came out there to find city work crews surveying the land just to the west. It is part of the big development plan by the city, that was approved in December. We have known from the signs that they were planning to make this part of a park complex, with sports fields with bright lights at night, and parking lots. Most of that kind of development will be further to the south, in the part of the desert past the power lines where I have often walked. But this little parcel next to where I go to walk is to have a landscaped makeover. 

Within a few months, it will have walking paths. Joggers and people with dogs will now get to traverse it, whereas only hardy souls like me, as well as rabbits and roadrunners, once did. I don't think they will do anything to ironwood, and my "grove," as it is in a dry wash, but I can imagine that soon it will not be suitable for me to linger there, as I will be an interloper in areas of a "park" that are off the paved path.

I'm enjoying the last few weeks before the crew shows up to begin the work (I asked one of the crew about their timetable). I've been so lucky to have my desert for as long as I did, just as I've enjoyed writing this blog on and off for 12 years.

We are already discussing moving on to our next destination and our next abode, although it will not be until I see the end of my solitary desert. I have been lucky indeed.

No comments: