Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Great Surliness

There is a great surliness about. One can feel it on social media, and the Internet. The Brexit vote took everyone by surprise, who wasn't following the event closely, and who understood why many were voting Leave. For a lot of people, it came completely out of the blue. Now comes the stunned and angry reaction. 

Facebook has become very difficult. More and more, friends who actually know me, and have treated me with warmth, have signaled openly in posts their intolerance for anyone who disagrees with them on certain issues. I've seen this coming for years, but now it has gone to a whole new level. Most of them I will not be able to talk to again, unless we can negotiate a situation where politics never comes up, or if it does, I can segue to something else with a kindly anyhoo...

I'm cool with disagreeing about certain things, and still being friends---even things I strongly believe in, and where I see something at stake akin to good and evil. Is anyone else?

No comments: