Friday, July 23, 2021

The Golden Interlude

Last night after sundown the rains came---real rains. The sound of the storm was comforting to fall asleep to. This morning the skies are dark and rumbling. We are getting the fist sustained soaking in a long tine. It is supposed to carry on through the weekend. 

After dinner last night I was talking to Ginger, saying that I thought that this week marked a watershed moment in the health emergency.  Those who advocate the arm jabs are running out of patience with the rest of us. First we tried, the carrot, now comes the stick. Increasingly there will be calls for sanctions against those of us who haven't gotten around to complying. This will done in the spirit of anger and reprisal.

At the moment it is possible to go sans face covering in public on the honor system. Soon there will be calls for the passport-type certification to enter most public venues.  Already a restaurant in Phoenix has started this. 

My honor is not compromised in going bare, as by all accounts of the scientific evidence I have seen, the bug is harmless, including the greek letter variant. 

I can see this crackdown happening by the autumn. In the meantime there is a golden interlude when all seems somewhat normal. I'm enjoying it. If I am to be a prisoner in my home over this, so be it. I am not afraid of that. I can do without restaurants.  We will get groceries somehow. 

I have nothing but pity for those seething in anger against us. I will not return their anger or hatred. I know they want that. They want us broken. They want us screaming at them. I will not do that. I will pray for them. I will pray for an end to all this.

But it is useless to pray for an "end to the demic," as there never was one to begin with. We were punked by videos from the Communist Chinese. 

Because it is phony, it can go on forever. The Greek Letter variant is phony, the result of simply an adjustment of the already phony testing method. Another such variant can be invented out of whole cloth. In fact, an infinite number can be invented, to keep us in fear for the rest of our lives.  Take the arm jab. Then take it again, and again, and again.

I know that most of the people I know, and my family members, are on the angry side. At this point, I don't expect to see or talk to most of them again. These are the times we live in. But as I said, I will not return their hatred with hatred. I will still love them.

Countering all this is the narrative of exposure.  It is the Trumpian narrative that the war is being fought. It is the Movie Theory that the good guys are in control, and the public is being prepared for the revelation of the truth. But even if this is true, we don't know at what timetable this will play out. Perhaps it will take years to come.  Even those of us who believe this should be prepared to hunker down in the days, weeks, and months ahead.

I pray that on the other side of it, I will recover some of the friendships and family relationships I have lost. As I've said, the idea of "I told you so!" is painful to me. I know the humiliation of being wrong will be too much for some to bear as they have staked their entire well-being on being righteously correct against the people they hate (including yours truly).  I don't care about being correct against them. I just want this to be over. I save my anger for the ones in charge, but brought this about, and who continue to tell us lies.


No comments: