Sunday, January 22, 2017

Full-Contact Confrontation

The newfound flirtation with the idea of "justified violence" against their opponents expressed by many on the Left is part of the broader trend of full-contact confrontation against the Right, and in particular Trump supporters.

The idea is that the time for reasonable discussion is over. Too much is at stake. The only reasonable course of action is all-out rhetorical assault to stop and roll back what they see as impeding and obvious tyranny.

Among people that I know who are Leftists, this is the default mode I take when speaking with them. I assume that any show of deviance from "100% Anti-Trump" will be met with a stupefied response and outright anger at the idea that anyone they know could possibly believe such a thing.

Because of this, only among family members and a small subset of very close friends do I allow myself to candidly express my opinion. I figure everyone else is going to flip out.

No comments: