Thursday, April 29, 2021

There is Nothing Wrong with the Air

 As we sat in the plaza, enjoying the perfectness of the temperature and the light, I mentioned that ironically, my lifelong interest in music theory had started in the most unlikely of places, from a classic Hollywood science fiction movie, namely Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

"I saw it when it first came out, in 1978 when I was thirteen. We went to see it in Des Moines at the large-screen theater. My dad drove us down---me and some of my junior high friends."

One of the screens that blew me away was when they are Devil's Tower as the alien ship is landing. They attempt to communicate with the aliens via musical tones, as they have been taught by previous encounters with the aliens. 

"Up a major third...down a perfect fifth," I said, recalling some of the directions that one of the character gives. Anyone who has seen the movie would recognize the sequence of tones that it creates.

I had to know what that all meant.  When I got to Willamette and had to chance to learn about it, I relished the opportunity to do so, even though it was not my talent. Back then I didn't care so much about that. I just wanted to get a classical education, and that certainly included musical theory.

I brought out my iPhone. 

"There is another scene from that movie I have to find."

I found it on Youtube in a quick search. Ginger already knew which one I meant. She had been thinking about it recently.

Of course, as you may have guessed, I was talking about this scene.


"This is the scene that really stayed with me at the time," I said. "I've thought about this scene so many times over the years. Suddenly it seems a lot more appropriate lately."

Even when I was thirteen, it struck me how odd it was that only a few people followed him, among the ones who had been compelled to show up at Devil's Tower to meet the aliens. Most of them had stayed locked in their fear based on the lie they had been told.

After we watched the clip on my phone, I got sad a moment with reflection. I mentioned how Heather Pinecone had told me a few days ago that one of mutual friends had proudly commented on Facebook how he and his girlfriend wore their masks everywhere, even then didn't have to, in order to show their support and respect for others.

How far he and I have split apart. He was once like a brother to me. I have visited him many times over the years, as recently as 2012 at his home in Maryland, where he is a sculptor. 

"We went Devil's Tower together," I told Ginger. It was so long ago---1986.  I miss my old friends sometimes. But there is no bridging the gap at this moment, I know.

No comments: