Friday, April 16, 2021

Smack into the Livestreaming Revolution

 I realized this afternoon that I've been resorting to writing this blog more frequently lately because I am overwhelmed by video media on the web.

Here's my observation of the moment: we are beyond the video revolution. We are the livestreaming revolution.  In the last month, many of the Youtube channels that I follow have jumped into livestreaming. This means using various tools to interact with your audience in real time. I am blown away by how quickly this is unfolding. I get livestreaming notices from my favorite channels in a constant, overlapping notice. One can usually watch the livestreams later, as I often do, but of course one cannot interact with the livestreamer, which is often part of the appeal.

It is interesting to see veteran Youtubers, including folks who have been making videos for years and being successful at it, testing the waters and awkwardly getting into livestreaming. As I write this I am listening to two livestreams at once. They are open in separate browser tabs. I switch my attention from one to another.

This is the new world. It is both exciting and insane. It makes recorded video seem like an outdated medium. It makes regular television programming seem like something from another era. Who has use for that?

Coming here to blog is a retreat to the written word. It feels like sanity.


No comments: