Friday, May 10, 2013

New Digs at the Opera Galleria

I stayed over a week in Fort Collins. I had a great time visting with my folks again, and seeing some old friends, including my friend Randy S.----, whom I've known since high school.

At first I didn't think I'd get to see him. I called his number but it no longer worked. So I dropped the offices of the architectural firm where he woks on Mountain Avenue just on the edge of Old Town. It turns out the reason his cell phone was disconnected is that he had left the firm to start his own. I'd somewhat inferred that from something he put on Facebook, and I was delighted to hear the news.

The receptionist at this old firm gave me vague directions to his new office, in the Opera Galleria building on College. I walked over there and poked around, but I didn't see anything in the office listings that looked like him.

At Starbucks across College, I went online and read an article on the web about his new firm, which gave me the address. Turns out he was sharing offices with an existing design firm. I went back to the Galleria and looked up the listing. Turns out they were on the "secret" third floor of the Galleria, that I didn't know even existed.

I remember that about Fort Collins: secret little weird corridors in office buildings downtown.

Randy was surprised and delighted to see me. His firm was booming and he had one meeting after another nearly every day, plus trips to Bangkok.

We made lunch plans for the next day, which happened to be another snow storm, this time on the first day of May. We joked about as we walked over from his office to La Luz on Walnut Street.

"Typical Colorado spring like the old days," I said. He laughed in agreement.

No comments: