Thursday, May 30, 2013

Speaking Irish on East Colfax

The last time I'd talked to Sean and Michelle was when we were both possibly going to meet up in Las Vegas, which I wound up getting to, but only several months later.

We'd all split up at last at Incline Village, Nevada outside a bar and grill the morning after the night we all spent at the Cal-Neva, the old Rat Pack hotel on the state line. We'd all agreed that having another more-organized "After Burn" event next year at the same place would be a grand idea.

Sean was curious what I'd been up to, and also about how I supported myself on my lifestyle. He called himself a Professional Ski Bum. I told him that next winter I might come to Aspen and take Ski Bum lessons from him.

We talked about Galway, which we both know well. We concluded that we probably know some of the same people there.

Michelle is a massage therapist for one of the big hotel chains (I thought it was Wyndham, but it is not). She laughed I told her that I was member of every rewards program on the market at this point.


After dinner we all split up at the table and made plans to rendezvous at the Fillmore, at one of the bars down near the stage. Adrian drew a map on the napkin for Okki.

Then Okki, Manchester, and I walked over to the Fillmore. One had to be frisked TSA style to get in. My handler was a pleasant young woman. I showed them my ticket from Stubhub printed out on Okki's computer. Then we went inside. It was loud and large.

Shows like this a challenge for me. I don't like them much, and just along for the fun of being with friends. Unlike the small show at the Fox, dancing was impossible. Even Okki---the dance king---agreed with me. It was mostly a visual show, designed for the eyes, with musical accompaniment. On that level it was pretty cool.

I left a little earlier and went outside to get a late night gyro from a food truck across from the club, then walked up and down Colfax a few blocks, thinking about that scene of  Clint Eastwood in Every Which Way But Loose, and how much Colorado had changed since that movie was made, even if Boulder tried to freeze itself in time in 1978.

No comments: