Monday, April 29, 2013

The New Boulder Normal

I stayed eight nights in Boulder, all in all. It was the week of incredible April snow, and much of the time I just wanted to stay cozy in my motel room on Canyon. But it was an uninspiring room. That was a good thing, since it forced me to get outside a lot, even as the snow was coming down the hardest.

The nearest Starbucks was just a block down 28th Street at the corner of Pearl. Working there during the day felt like being in a giant snow globe.

Across the street from my motel was the lifestyle center outdoor development that replaced the old Crossroads Mall. I went to a movie there a couple New Year Eve's ago---Sherlock Holmes.

On Monday the bombs went off at the Boston Marathon. I decided to tune out the coverage most of the time. I barely watched any television.

On Wednesday, Okki relieved my cabin fever with a meet-up at my motel room (my car was too covered with snow to move). We had beers across the street at a pub.

By Friday, when the snow began to melt rapidly, I had barely moved a few hundred yards from the motel.

On Saturday, we got together again, and with a friend of Okki's who just moved from Connecticut, and went bar-hopping, starting with the basement of the old Boulderado Hotel. We wound up at the Fox Theater grooving to a band called Araabmuzik. 

It was a fun time. It felt like Burning Man. The next morning I realized in Starbucks that I was still wearing the purple wrist band from admission.

No comments: