Monday, April 15, 2013

Day of Multi-Colored Surprises

After a couple nights in Manitou Springs, suffering through the almost unusable Wi-Fi, I checked out and headed down into Colorado Springs, through the charming little Old Colorado City district. When I passed a Dunkin' Donuts, the only one in Colorado, I stopped and bought some of their brand of coffee for my sister, as an Easter present, and sort of as a gag gift about her years in Boston.

With a little time to spare, I afforded myself a drive through central Colorado Springs, from downtown north on Cascade. The north-south streets of the grid are named after mountains and mountain ranges of the West and Northwest. The east-west streets are named for rivers of the same regions.

Before I got on the Interstate, I stopped at a chain party store and stocked up on some Easter decorations that would make the kids laugh, I thought, including some bunny ears, and plastic eggs for the gifts I'd bought them.

In a little over an hour, up  on I-25 then on C-470, up along Morrison to Golden, then onto I-76 heading back towards I-25. I exited in Wheat Ridge, went past old Lakeside Amusement Park looking for a coin store that turned out to have just closed for the day. Then up on Wadsworth north into Westminster.

I got to my sister's house at just about the time she said dinner would be starting. I parked a few houses down, just to make it a surprise, then put on the bunny ears and a Mardi Gras mask and walked up to the front door with a basket full of eggs of different colors and patterns, and other stuff in the basket.

No comments: