Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sizzling Steaks Creekside

Okki still lived in the same mobile home trailer as last year. I had no problem finding it again in Boulder, at the end of Valmont Road, not far from our old workplace.

I saw his Subaru parked in his driveway and he was standing right there. I got out of the car and gave him a big bear hug.

We went inside the trailer and had a few beers and relaxed, at times going out to the wooden deck in back, overlooking the creek, so Okki could smoke a cigarette.

He said he could cook some steaks for dinner on the grill. We talked for hours. We wanted to know the details of my big long trip, the "After Burn," as they call it. As I talked, the experiences of the last few months just started pouring out, and I realized what an awesomely wild trip it had actually been.

He was particularly interested in hearing my experiences with gun training in Nevada. I demonstrated some of the techniques for him while we were outside. It turns out he and Stefan had been to Las Vegas and had paid to fire a 357 Magnum and a couple other guns. I told him how at the training camp at lunchtime you could fire an assortment of automatic weapons and just pay for the ammo.

At one point he accused me of being "gun crazy." I told him he might be right.

After dinner his friend Melanie came over and we hung out until late in the evening, playing Jenga and drinking. I made the tower fall both times. I was the new guy, after all.


No comments: