Friday, August 28, 2009

Two weeks in Maryland---and finally some movies again!

It's Friday afternoon, and as I write this, I've been staying at Howard's place in Silver Spring for two weeks. It has been a very fun time. He and his girlfriend Mia are consummate hosts, and I have only the highest praise for them for putting up with me for so long.

Ironically the first thing we did upon getting into town was head off on a camping trip. We wound up at Assateague State Park on the Maryland ocean shore, where I rode on a Catamaran sailboat for the first time in my life. Our campsite was mobbed by wild ponies, which is considered a normal thing at the park.

I also got to witness a "penning competition," where Mia (who is quite a horseback rider) competed to round up numbered cattle into a pen. I told people I was rooting for the cows.

There has been all manner of fun, including a visit into DC, on Thursday of this week, where I went to the National Zoo for the first time in twenty years. I used to love DC, but I have very hard time stomaching being there anymore. The zoo, however, was very nice and relaxing. It seems that the presence of the animals there made it somewhat civilized compared to the rest of the city.

And yes, as the title suggests, I finally did get to catch up slighty on my movies (although not as much as I thought I would be able). Since I'm taking off tomorrow for the next leg of this road trip, I need to catch up on my write-ups. I'm going to attempt to do that over the next twelve hours or so. I have told myself they will be only abbreviated write-ups, but knowing me, I'll wind up shooting my mouth off again. I can't help myself.

No comments: