Saturday, August 29, 2009

Post Grad

My ex-wife and I used to watch Gilmore Girls back in the day, and I developed a soft spot for Alexis Bledel that makes me cut her slack in whatever she appears.

She needed a little bit of it in Post Grad, which looked to be a fun romantic comedy about a woman (Bledel) who graduates from college with a humanities degree and not only gets shut out of her dream job, but can't find any work at all.

The set-up was done well, but the narrative felt a little herky-jerky, with some obvious "gags" to drive to the plot, such as running over a pet cat (big minus in my book for cat-killing humor). A subplot involving a romantic revival to her love interest sorts of starts up, and then just vanishes when the guy decides to leave the country (how convenient for the story). The cast was enjoyable to watch, but it left me a little dry and feeling manipulated with the Little Miss Sunshine type cutesy way it tried to resolve the story lines. Where the hell did she really get that ice cream truck?

I saw this at the Loew's Theater on K Street in Georgetown. Back in 1984 I worked for a few weeks at movie theater in Georgetown, and I thought this was it, but it turns out the one I worked at was on Jefferson Street, just a block away, and no longer exists. This multiplex is beautiful and new. Definitely an improvement since 1984.

No comments: