Sunday, March 1, 2009

Jonas Brothers: the 3-D Concert Experience

You would think I could catch a break on this. After driving all the way to Methuen to buy a ticket to the very first matinee show on the day of release, I walk into the auditorium five minutes before showtime and find that the place is packed. Judging by what I saw, there were a lot of absences of pre-teen and early teenage girls in schools on Friday.

Is there a narrative to a concert show? I suppose so. In the intro, which starts at the Trump International Hotel in New York City, we follow the three brothers as they make their way through Manhattan to their show. Along the way they get mobbed by screaming girl fans and have to escape by helicopter---very Hard Day's Night.

But the real narrative to Jonas Brothers: the 3-D Concert Experience is the show itself, at Madison Square Garden. You don't need 3-D glasses to imagine the sound of twenty-five thousand girls screaming in glee at once. The story is the arrangement of the numbers, and the choreography A couple fast ones, then a slow ballad, then back to fast. Slip in a couple guest appearances, including one by Taylor Swift, who is skinnier than I would have imagined.

It flew by fast, the whole thing. I never got bored. Disney knows how to produce and package these shows. Was it just me, or was hosing down the entire audience with confetti a little, uh, suggestive? I guess I have a dirty mind.

A year ago these guys were nobodies, but they got a guest shot in Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: the Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour. A year can make a big difference is the life of teenagers. I suppose next year it will be Demi Lovato's turn.

My toe was tapping a couple times. The numbers weren't bad. It was well-staged, but very very sanitized. Afterward I got home and couldn't remember any of the lyrics to any of the songs. But along the way, they had gotten my fifteen bucks in Methuen.

No comments: