Friday, March 6, 2009

Watchmen

Just got back from the matinee in Leominster about fifteen minutes ago. All I can say is...wow.

There is so much I could write about this, and if I try to write about it now, it will be pointless, because I will want to write more later.

For now, I can say that I think this is not only a masterpiece, but is probably the most important landmark in Hollywood cinematic storytelling since The Matrix, which came out almost exactly ten years ago.

I had certain problems with The Dark Knight, despite the awesome performance by Heath Ledger. But Watchmen was totally different. The two movies are not even in the same league.

I had read Alan Moore's graphic novel during several sittings in the coffee shop of the Barnes and Noble in Nashua, New Hampshire last month. I agree with everyone saying this was a magnificiently faithful rendition of the Moore's work.

More later, but that's my initial impression. This will be the movie of 2009.

No comments: