Saturday, February 28, 2009

I Feel Personally Responsible For This

According to the New York Times, movie theater attendance is way up this year:

While much of the economy is teetering between bust and bailout, the movie industry has been startled by a box-office surge that has little precedent in the modern era. Suddenly it seems as if everyone is going to the movies, with ticket sales this year up 17.5 percent, to $1.7 billion, according to Media by Numbers, a box-office tracking company.

This disproves a notion I have heard lately regarding increased DVD rentals from Netflix etc. On the local Boston news, twice I have heard reporters say that this is because people are staying home from the movies because of increased ticket prices.

This may be true, but the fact is that movies are still the cheapest way to spend an evening out. As people economize, they are going to go to movies in place of doing more expensive things. I have found this to be true of myself, and I think a lot of other people will find out the same thing.

No comments: