Friday, May 12, 2023

The Day of a Hundred Broadcasts

After the debacle of last Wednesday's show, it was clear I needed more practice at doing livestreaming on Streamyard.  So on Thursday I logged into my Streamyard account and undertook to practice until I got it right.

On Streamyard, one creates "broadcasts" that can get sent out to the major video platforms, including Youtube and Rumble. That is, one "streams" on Streamyard, but can configure Streamyard to forward the stream in real time to Youtube, for example, so that one is "streaming on Youtube" through a particular channel there.

Spellbreakers get streamed this way via the Badlands Media channel on Rumble. Up until now, Patrick--being the pro--has always been the one to set this up, configuring the time of the broadcast, etc., as well as the unique id keys that one must use (like one-off passwords) to be able to connect into the Badlands Media channel on Rumble.  

Basically Streamyard is the interface you capture the video and audio, and then send it on to Rumble/Youtube. You can broadcast this way live (which is what we do on the air) or make a recording and stream it at some later time to Youtube/Rumble.

We don't stream to Youtube because Youtube does not allow discussion of the topics on Badlands, including "vaccine hesitancy", "election denial", etc.--basically anything that a room full of Trump supporters would talk about. Rumble is much more chill about that.

In order to get better at using Streamyard, I decided Thursday would be the "Day of 100 Stream Recordings" I logged into my personal Streamyard account and went through the process of creating a new broadcast recording. I watched the playback each time, starting from "Test Strean 1"  all the way upwards to one hundred. I took several hours. I learned a ton about what works and what doesn't work, as far as camera angles and microphone position.  I love learning things this way--working out the fundamentals patiently until I get them right.

It isn't the same as doing it live, to be certain. Among other things, I have to learn to time the start of my Streamyard live broadcast with the start of the "show" that goes out on Badlands, which is set up by someone else. I botched that completely on Wednesday, so a lot of people thought the show hadn't started (it hadn't) and probably ditched out. 

I hate giving my audience a bad experience. I very much want them to be entertained, and come away happy they gave an hour of their attention to me.


No comments: