Monday, May 1, 2023

Los Poblanos and Ranchettes

 After the second night in Albuquerque at the charming El Vado Motel, we checked out and headed north out of the city on a side road. Karen wanted to see the Rio Grande itself, so we found a city park that allowed us to walk down to the river through a small woods on a level footpath. Her recent knee surgery allowed her more mobility and was keen to use it. Then we drove northward along the river through the relaxed Albuquerque suburbs to have lunch at working farm-inn called Los Poblanos, which Jessica had visited many years before and was excited to revisit. She had made reservations for us. I became fascinated by the antiquated tractor that was on display in the courtyard and took photos of its oil pressure and gas gauges, as that is the kind of thing I love. I reminds me of working on Volkswagens with my father in the 1970s. 

After lunch we separated from Rande and Karen, following our navigation through the ranchettes along the river north of the city, admiring the relaxed feel of them, and thinking that nothing so relaxed as this could be found anywhere in Scottsdale at a comparable price. After pushing north along the river as far as possible on these back roads, we got onto the freeway and headed north to Santa Fe, where we navigated to our hotel in downtown near the plaza, which Jessica had booked. By then the sky was growing a bit nasty with the threat of snow. I loved the idea that we would get snow. I wanted the weather that way while I was there.




No comments: