Monday, September 30, 2013

Tropical Storm Over Oregon

This year the autumn rains came early to the Northwest in the form of a typhoon, the remnants of one over the western Pacific that circled up through the northern Pacific until coming ashore along the Washington-Oregon coast. The weekend forecast had called for a hundred percent chance of heavy rains.

The train of the typhoon remnant was not the same as the ferocious ones, for example the Columbus Day storm of 1962, where the low pressure zone curved north from California. Instead it was coming down from the Gulf of Alaska. Even such the rains were moderate and temperature, and the temperature was a bit less chilly than one would expect from so much grey skies and dampness this time of year.

Nevertheless it was still a good weekend to stay indoors. I'd checked into the Motel 6 out by I-205. It has been converted from another flag and has suites with king-size beds for a moderate price. On Saturday while Red went to a conference of functional medicine and nutrition, I stayed in my cozy room and studied biochemistry while half watching a string of college football games.

I watched the Georgia-LSU game specifically so I could text and call my friend Greg in Memphis. He's a Georgia alumnus and big booster for the college football team, and for the Southeast Conference as a whole.

It turns out he wasn't watching the game in real time, but had DVRed. As such when we chatted in the third quarter, I could only offer general descriptions of my impression of the two teams without giving any details. I told him that Georgia looked really good, and after watching Alabama later, I texted him that his team was the best in the conference. He liked that.

No comments: