Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Burning Man This Year: The Great Exodus Begins

After having our last-of-the wee coffee at Central Camp, we went straight back to camp. We thought maybe our campmates would be back there already, but they weren't.

There was nothing to do in the meantime. We figured they would be OK. They were the most experienced of our group, after all.

The Exodus of cars and RVs was still backed up well to our intersection at 7:45 and K. To try to leave at that point would be getting in a very long slow line. Okki and Ash decided to get a few hours sleep, and to check again at 3 a.m.

Sean and Michele went to bed as well, since they were staying, despite the threat of thunderstorms on Monday afternoon.

I was in somewhat of a bind, of my own making. I'd booked my return bus for the 6 a.m. departure. I'd forgotten Monday was a legal holiday. I could have easily booked the noon bus. That meant I'd had to pack up my tent. I had nowhere to sleep, and I didn't trust the cheap alarm clock I'd bought anyway. I decided the best thing to do would be to stay up all night.

Also I still had to drop my bicycle off at the Playa Bicycle Repair camp before morning,. I decided to go for one last cruise, out into the dark.

No comments: