Monday, June 10, 2013

Thoughts from Behind the Walnut Barn

The rest of Sunday found me doing as few things as possible. The day had started overcast, but by noon the sun had come out mostly and providing a nice radiant cover for a day of lazy explorations around the Portland area.

Downtown was dead---I didn't want to stay there anymore anyway, so I paid for the parking (twenty-four bucks) and de-garaged my car, heading onto the 405 south. I wasn't even sure where I was going to go. I wound up getting off at a suburban exit on I-5 and meandering through the suburban areas.

The church parking lots were brimming were cars and trucks. The parks were beginning to fill with families with children playing in fountains. I found a nice shady parking spot in one city and walked down an overgrown hill behind a century-old preserved barn, where I found a trio of fir trees. Beside one I lay back among talls obscuring weeds and looked up through the trees into the blue sky.  No one could see me and I could see no one else, which is exactly what I wanted. Thoughts drifted in my head like floating sticks in a winding river.  I felt at great peace as if letting go the weight of the world. It was the perfect meditation I was looking for.

After that I went to Fred Meyer to restock some food camping supplies I'd used in Montana, then got on the Interstate and 217 and headed up to Forest Grove, which I had already decided was going to be one my bases during this stay in the Portland area.


No comments: