Saturday, June 8, 2013

Liveblogging Portland Nudity

10:21 pm

Seems all traffic below on Broadway is paralyzed as a crowd of hundreds of naked and semi-naked bicyclists have taken over the intersection on Main, and are cheering at periodic intervals in loud unison for something on the other side of the hotel.

A great afternoon. Sat in Pioneer Courthouse Square admiring the huge floral display there for at least at hour on the steps. Walked down to the Willamette and caught the last few heats of the Dragon Boat races. Under the Marquam Bridge on the footpath, I sat and looked out towards Mount Hood which was shimmering perfectly in the most gorgeously sunny Oregon June day ever.

In the late afternoon I walked along blocked-off SW Naito Parkway looking over the floats, which were parked on display. The Sister City one was the most impressive up close as well. I learned the purple and gold princesses were from the Spokane Lilac Festival. Sounds like a must-see event.

Got hungry on the way back to hotel walking by the food cart district, which as paralled the development of similar quarter in East Austin. I wanted to sample one, but I passed by all of them and got to the end, which was Egyptian food----a huge private Portland joke on me. "I'll pass this time," I said with a laugh

I went back the Heathman and just ate at the restaurant there. Got the plat du jour, which was King Salmon, and a lentil soup. I must have seemed classy enough because the waiter just assumed I was a hotel guest and took the charge to my room on the honor system. I like this place.

...The semi-naked crowd on the street below on Broadway is now chanting "Take it off" is unison.

No comments: