Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ultralight Rainbows

Yesterday was a beautiful day down in Westminster. It was sixty degrees when I arrived in the mid afternoon. I walked around for a hour before heading over to the school, where I ambushed the girls on their way out the door. They didn't expect to see me there. Maura rode home with her mom, but Sarah insisted on walking home with her uncle, holding his hand most of the way. We raced the last couple hundred yards through the park in order to beat my sister's minivan to the front door.

When I got back to my sister's house, the new tent I had ordered had arrived. My current tent is way to heavy---not something one can carry in a pack. As part of my Ultralight '12 initiative, I had agonized over which shelter to buy, and after much deliberations on weight and utility, I had settled on a Tarptent, because I liked the concep. I specifically chose the Double Rainbow, which comes it at a mere 41 ounces for the full set up.

Fortunately it was a great day to set up a tent. I wasn't even planning to set it up, but the girls were very eager to help me try it out. So with them "helping" (mostly by swinging on the swingset while I fumbled with the directions), I got the tent set up just as the sun was setting. The first order of business was to pack the three of us inside and engage in a game of coloring with markers of many colors of course. It is surely an auspicious start for the Double Rainbow.

No comments: