Monday, December 15, 2008

Schadenfreude Spirit

Given the kind of aggregator sites and blogs I read, I have to put up with a lot of gushing from fanboys about every upcoming release of a movie based on their favorite video game character, etc. These movies are often not to my taste,not for subject matter, but because of their narrative structure and characters, which sometimes fall into juvenile indulgence. Thus I usually feel left out of the party. Usually I derive no happiness from the release of a bad movie, but it's with a bit of guilty glee that I sometimes discover that the fanboys' high hopes will be dashed when one of the movies really, really, really sucks. This advance panning of the upcoming release The Spirit is right up my alley. I wonder if that means I'm going to wind up liking it? We'll find out in a couple weeks. I'd like to think that in my petty court, every film gets a fair viewing before judgement is passed.

No comments: