Sunday, December 21, 2008

2008: Only the Beginning?

Going over my well-worn list of 2008 movie releases yesterday, it occurred to me that I was going to wind up seeing many of the same movies on DVD. You can learn so much about movies in general, and about the particular movie in question, from the extras on a DVD. I know I will wind up wanting that info on so many of the movies I've seen in theaters during the last year (112 and counting).

Talking with my sis in her kitchen a couple hours later, I joked that I should turn all of this into a case study of the movies of 2008, and use this blog as a dry-run to write a book about contemporary culture and art, including the classical-postmodern duality that fascinates me. The book would be based on all the movie releases from a single year.

She thought it was a great idea. Well, who knows? Given all that is happening, it would be a portrait of America on the verge of...whatever is about to happen.

No comments: