Thursday, June 11, 2020

That I May Be Diminished in Opinion

In my normal morning routine on the porch, the last prayer I say, as an additional prayer after the Rosary, is one in French---the Litany of Humility.

I say it in French because it was originally composed in that language, supposedly by a French bishop in the Nineteenth Century. Among other things, reciting it after the Rosary gives me a chance to practice speaking French each day first thing in the morning. Speaking different languages exercises different muscles in one's mouth and face.

I prefer the French version to the English version for several reasons. I think it flows better. The English version feels a bit clunky. Moreover, the French version uses the subjunctive mood, which is more common in French than English, and which I find pleasing and beautiful to use in speech.

The English translation doesn't quite work for me. In the English version, in one of the lines one says "From the desire of being loved, deliver me, Lord." In the French, the verb used in that line corresponds more appropriately to "From the desire of receiving affection, deliver me, Lord." That makes more sense to me in a deep way. The desire to be loved is perhaps holy, I think, so the English verb is deficient here.

I know French well enough that the prayer has immediate emotional impact as I say it. I don't have to think about what the words mean as I say them by making an internal translation. This is important because the prayer is a difficult examination of conscience, and sometimes my pride rebels against wanting the things the prayer expresses. It goes against everything the world tells us we should want. That's another reason I save it for last before facing the day.

No comments: