Thursday, June 25, 2020

If I Still Did Movie Reviews

Since I very rarely see any new movies, even streaming ones, I could not go back to writing the type of posts I did when I started this blog twelve years ago.

But if I did ever write about movies, I would write only about classic ones,  since I have seen so many now, and have a good memory of them. And I would wish to write them as well as the Critical Drinker does his videos (albeit with less profanity).
"It's an acknowledgement that every life, no matter how short, or how difficult, has a uniqueness and value that can't be measured."
 (massive spoilers in link)

I confess I didn't get this movie when I saw it in high school. I liked it, but I didn't see the nuances and themes that would be so clear later.  Lived experience lets you see those things. It wasn't until years later, when I read other people's appreciations of it on the Internet, that I saw what I had missed. In 2007 they released a 25th anniversary cut of it, one of the "five hundred versions" that the reviewer mentions. I saw it at the Cinerama in Seattle. Within seven months I was going to movie theaters obsessively, and a few months later I started writing this blog.

No comments: