Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Hobby Lobby: Refuse to Comply

My peaceful summer day here by the sea was punctuated by repeated observations that my Facebook feed was blowing up with outrage and frustration about the Supreme Court decision regarding Hobby Lobby and Obamacare.

It seems a lot of my friends were very angry about the result, to the point of describing it as tyranny.

Personally it's not an issue I found that compelling, but I know a lot of folks did find it compelling, so in the interests of being helpful, I thought I'd chip in my two cents about it.

My advice to the outraged folks is the same I would give to anyone who feels that a particular law is tyrannical, as passed by a legislature, interpreted by the courts, or implemented by an executive. The advice is this: simply refuse to comply with it.

History has proven that a group of committed people who refuse to comply with what they perceive to be unjust authority can have monumental effects in the long run. Of course you must be prepared to face consequences in the short run, at the cost of your liberty and treasure, and even your life perhaps, but if many people refuse to comply then virtually nothing can stop them in achieving a goal down the road.

In this case, the perceived tyranny is that women will be denied access to birth control. Thus the method of refusing to comply is simple. If you are a woman affected by this, then find a way to get access to birth control despite this horrible law. If you are not directly affected, then find a way to help the affected women get their birth control.  This will surely bring the system to its knees, if everyone did this.

No comments: