Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Culmination of the Great Starbucks Road Rally.

A Starbucks road rally---that's how I've sometimes described my life over the last couple years. At times it has come close to seeming quite literal, for example, when crossing the northern Great Plains last year. Heading west from Grand Forks last year I had map out in advance where I could next find reliable wi-fi where I could work. To do this, I would simply find the next Starbucks westward and head towards it.

Wi-fi, work. That pretty much sums up why I like Starbucks. I've mentioned these things in previous posts, but forgive the repetition one more time for the occasion.  Among these is that the wi-fi at Starbucks never lets you down. Also there are always power outlets to keep your laptop and cell phone juiced up (something I often needed while staying at campgrounds, and which is often lacking even at other chain coffee shops).

Their shops are well-lit with good sunlight. That's in contrast to many independents, who seem to think that dingy light is the way to go (thankfully this is beginning to change),

Starbucks has non-annoying service. The employees are well-trained. They never ask me to repeat my single-drink coffee order two or three times ("Now what were you having again?"). They have a complete open door no hassle policy that even encourages people to stay there as long as possible (they certainly get their money out of me).

Their music is engineered to be as non-annoying as possible (no cloying classic rock songs to screw with the teenage memory strings in my brain while I'm trying to work).

Overall, knowing I could find all these wonderful things so consistently across the country simply by finding a Starbucks using this site is one of the huge reasons I have been able to travel while working as I have done in my digital nomadic way. That is, I not only can travel about, but I can do it somewhat gracefully.

And that's what I'm about, really---graceful travel. I'm the Martha Stewart of budget travel. But that's a different metaphor for a different time.

What's important is that Starbucks helped me do all this somewhat-graceful movement from place to place while still earning a living. For this I am extremely grateful. I know it might irk quite a few people to hear such praise for a "soul-crusing corporation," but so be it. It is what it is.

Their coffee, to be sure, is not my favorite. But I drink it and like it. My standard order is a Grande Pike with room. I put half-and-half up to the rim. Often I get their bacon and egg breakfast sandwiches as well.

A grande with room is exactly what I ordered on Sunday in Seattle at the Starbucks on the Pike Street Market---the original Starbucks. Red and I braved the modest line of Asian tourists to squeeze inside and order our beverages. The decor is retro and nostalgic, using the original 1971 version of the mermaid logo, like an old chandler's shop on the waterfront.

I didn't bring my laptop there, but there was no place to sit there of course  Besides, it was Sunday, my day off. The coffee that afternoon was purely a voluntary pleasure, and quite refreshing.

No comments: