Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Big Eff-No

Went to Carrows for brunch today, the one on Blackstone. It's a California chain I got used to visiting last fall and winter during the Big Cali Run. Among other things, I wanted to get out of the room to let housekeeping come in and give me a new set of one-off coffee pouches.

Got their sirloin and eggs. A decent meal. Wish they would disinclude the toast as an option. Next time I'll tell them not to bring it.

Had a local cheeseburger last night. Rick's girlfriend L---- brought it home. She was at the store with us for part of the afternoon, but she and her daughter temporarily detoured off to the thrift store while Rick and I went straight to their place. It's in north Fresno in a complex right across Sierra from where he was living the last two times I visited him.

When we got back, Rick and I went out to the back patio, a tiny hemmed in plot of line with a high brick fence shielding view from the neighborhoods. A little piece of the California dream, complete with a fake fireplace (not a bad addition, I think).

Rick is one my more choleric friends. I've long depended on him to fire me up about certain things, because he will always be more fiery than I. He's always been on the cutting edge of it.

He talked about the politicians he hates. He can't stand to listen to the ones he used to like. They are all sell-outs to him. No leaders, that's his motto.

Among other things we talked about Fresno and what it means to live here. We both have a mutual love for Fresno, which expresses itself a constant need to understand why this place is the way it is.

"I hate this place," he said with disgust. "I just want to get out of here. L---- wants to too."

"The Big F," I said, chiming in.

"The Big F-No," he said, in his creative way.

No comments: