Thursday, October 10, 2013

An Afternoon With Doris Day

After loafing at the Pike Street Market indulging in more Sunday people watching, Red and I drove home to relax in the hotel by Lake Union to while after the time before dinner.

It was then that I discovered that we had TCM. I was delighed and immediately punched in the channel code. Seeing a classic movie in progress like that is like stepping into a warm peaceful bath.

Red didn't know about it. I explained how I had spent so much time watching it, and  had once"left the television on TCM for two years straight" (only a slight exaggeration). I told her how about watching it for a while, it felt like being in 1948 again (sort of a median year for their catalog). But this was very confusion, because the contemporary "modern" world stopped making sense at some point.

"Everyone now is assumed to be dishonorable," I said.

The first movie we watched was late Doris Day movie---Day's last feature role, in fact, from 1968. It was comedy, With Six You Get Eggroll, in which she and Brian Keith are widow and widower respectively, trying to merge their two families like The Brady Bunch. It was one of the few movie roles for George Carlin, who plays a carhop at a drive-in.

Red didn't know much about Day, even though Day is from her hometown of Cincinnati. I told her that Day was one of my favorite actresses. She plays very strong characters but they are strong in a very feminine way. It makes her very appealing.

After that we plowed right on into Mister Roberts, which Red hadn't seen either. We both particularly enjoyed the ship's doctor character, played with great comedic effect by William Powell, another one of my favorite actors.

Then we turned off the tube for a while and went out to eat. Red wanted Italian, and we tried to go to Serafina in Eastlake, but it was hosting a private party, so we drove a little further down the lake and found an inconspicuous little place called Pomodoro, with a splendid cozy atmosphere and a chef who served in the Spanish Army, and who cooked for the King of Spain. My paella was tremendous, and Red loved her linguine.

No comments: