Monday, December 5, 2011

Operation Monroe

These last few weeks I've been laid up with a shoulder and neck injury---tendonitis, as it turns out. My mobility limited, I've taken refuge in my old habit of watching old movies. Since I don't have TCM where I am staying, I decided to rejoin Netflix and catch up on some classic films I've been wanting to see. Usually this would be too daunting of a task---too much choice, but I decided to make it easier on myself by assigning myself a theme. Last month on TCM was "Blonde Bombshell Month," and since I didn't get to see most of those movies, I decided I would go with that as a basis, but would go to even one more level---a Marilyn Monroe film festival.

Rather shamefully, Monroe is a big blank spot in my appreciation of classic films. As I've mentioned before, I think I saved watching many of her films until I'd absorbed the generation of actresses before her---Stanwyck, Rogers, Davis, Crawford, Garson, Dunne, Hepburn, Garland, Young, and their contemporaries. They got their start in the 1930s and would have been the actresses that Monroe watched while she was a girl.

Now I feel like I'm ready for a fuller appreciation of Monroe. My first three disks from Netflix are sitting on my DVD and ready to be loaded. It's going to be a fun couple weeks.

No comments: