Friday, September 9, 2011

Stalag 17 @ Second Space aka My Great Revelation about My Life and the Direction for Me

Seen in Fresno, on Sept. 1,2,3

If there was one thing about Fresno that really changed my life, it was the discovery, or rather rediscovery of something that has been missing from life, which is live theater.

One of the reasons I went there was to see my friend make his stage debut in a local theater production there of Stalag 17, the play that the movie was based on. He had never been on stage before in life. The production had debuted in mid August. I was only planning to see the Thursday show but I wound up going on Friday and Saturday night as well.

Rick played Sgt. Reed, the big-mouthed American prisoner whose indiscretion winds up causing all sorts of problems and driving the plot. I told Rick that it was quite ironic, given certain things in my life recently. It's funny how theater works that way, and directly connect with you.

After three nights I was practically an understudy. Everyone in the cast knew me. The cast even liked hanging out on the hood of my classic BMW behind the theater (everybody loves my car).

Frankly it's the reason I'm blogging again. Years ago I was in theater, and when I was there, I found it to be my family, the refuge for me against the crushing isolation and loneliness of the rest of the world. All through high school I was in productions, but for some reason, in college, I thought I was supposed to do other things, so I was only in one production in college and have never been on stage since then.

Rick was adamant that I give it a try again, and I promised him that I would, not because I have some great yen for people to clap for me, but for many other reasons, the primary one being that I know this is where I am supposed to find my family again, in whatever form. Somehow I've known this, but have resisted it. But now I know I am ready for it again. Heck, maybe I'll do it in Fresno.

I am planning to write a lot about this, right here on my blog. If you followed me in the past and read any of my posts, know that all of a sudden I have a lot to say about a lot of things, and want to share them. Also, I realize that some people have commented on my posts but I did not do a very good job of replying. I wasn't in a position emotionally to respond I think, for various reasons, while I was working through certain emotions. But now I feel free again and for starters I've gone back and made few replies to comments people have made. If you have made any, you might double check if you are in the mood to do so.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I enjoyed reading this and... so weird, but I finally found my yearbooks last week (probably on the 6th or 7th) and was flipping through them, finding myself reminiscing about drama club. There was the program from productions I took part in (crew). There was the program from J.B. You were on my mind, very much. For days after, I found myself wondering if there were some way I could get involved in live theater again.