Monday, September 26, 2011

High Society (1956)

And speaking of Cole Porter songs...

While waiting to see my next live theatre performance, I've decided to write about a few classic movies I've seen lately and which I really enjoyed.

I got re-see part of High Society a few months back on TCM.  It's one of those movies that if it comes on, I'm going to wind up watching part of it, guaranteed. It's among my all-time secret favorite movies. I say "secret" because one is not really supposed to like this movie all that much.

Yes, I know it's a remake of The Philadelphia Story (1940), and although I like that earlier film, it's actually not anywhere near the top of my list as far as comedies from that era. I think Grant and Hepburn did better work together, and Jimmy Stewart is underused, all in all. But I know my opinion is in the minority here.

As for the 1956 movie. C'mon, it stars Grace Kelly. You really need more to appreciate it? But I shouldn't talk: I was late in really becoming a huge fan of hers---I had learn to appreciate the early generation of actresses first (somewhat like how I purposely waited to appreciate the genius and significance of Monroe).

But mostly my appreciation stems from that fact that I just love the musical numbers in the remake, written by Cole Porter specifically for the film. I think that was a stroke of genius. They turned me into a Bing Crosby fan.

Yes, this movie would near the top of my list if anyone asked me for a movie sure to make them smile.

But to be sure, in case you haven't seen it yet, and in case the opinion of others counts to you about the movies you watch, then best to watch and appreciate this one by yourself the first time through.










No comments: