Sunday, September 11, 2011

Crest Theatre, Fresno

Traveling the country I've seen so many old movie houses in old downtowns that just fill my heart with joy to see them. It has occurred to me that perhaps the main reason I went to see so many movies for so long is simply because I liked going into theaters.

One thing that amazes me is how resilient old movie houses are. They may change form, and serve completely different purposes, but as architecture, they are amazingly stable. I've seen re-incarnated in almost every form, but with the marquee and the exterior barely altered. There is just something so compelling about them. I've learned that unless the movie theater is completely demolished, it is possible to renovate into anything. I'm aware of a few old theaters that have indeed been torn down and it is always sad to me. In particular case, the theater site has simply become a parking lot.

The Crest Theater here in Fresno has undergone a fairly common renovation as a live music venue. That's my friend Rick walking in front. We were walking around downtown Fresno when I saw the Crest and said "I have to take a picture of that!" Since he's now an actor, I figured he wouldn't mind being caught in this candid shot I took from across the street. My camera card is filled with photographs of old theaters like this, often taken while I'm sitting at a stoplight at a small town, desperately trying to get the shot before the light changed. Maybe I'll dig some more out like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.