Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

Seen at: Cinema Save 6, Ft. Collins, 9:00 p.m on Nov. 21

It took me forever to get around to seeing this, but I was rewarded when it wound up playing at the discount theater. I love it when that happens.

Well, you might know how I feel about non-Disney/Pixar animation. It almost always lets me down, on the story level if nothing else. In this case, the story wasn't so bad, but the animation really got to me. It was way too frenetic, with arms and legs flying everywhere in every scene. Every motion of the protagonist screamed of too much urgency of emotion. I got tired of it, and actually had to turn away from the screen a couple times to give my eyes a break.

Plus it just too stupidly messy. Maybe I would have liked it if I were a ten-year-old, but I don't think so. Let me check with my inner ten-year-old....nope, wouldn't have liked it in 1974 either.

Very fitting last time of the movie. The villain-mayor is sinking on a boat made of toast. The very last thing we hear is him saying, "This was a very bad idea."

Verdict: Headache-inducing animation to tell a passable narrative.

No comments: