Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Serious Man

Seet at: Lyric Cinema Cafe, at 2:00 p.m on Sat. Nov. 14.

I often get tired of seeing period movies from the Sixties that dont' really feel like the 1960s. This movie was set in suburban Minneapolis in May 1967 and it felt awesomely like the Midwest in that time. I could write a lot about this movie. It blew me away. It may be the best movie of the year, and it is my favorite Cohen Brothers movie since The Big Lebowski (which I saw only three years ago). It may be their best.

How could I not like a movie that chronicles the breakdown of Classical civilization, right up the point of an aged rabbi quoting Jefferson Airplane? When the Truth is found to be lies...

It's about the Sixties, but it's really about now. It's a movie about Judaism, yet it is completely universal as well. This is how you do it. This is how you make great art.

Verdict: Superb. Perhaps the best movie of the year.

No comments: