Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cirque du Freak: the Vampire's Assistant

Seen at: Carmike Frontier 9 in Cheyenne, Wyoming, 4:15 p.m. on Nov. 4

I was already up in Cheyenne for another movie, so I decided to check out the Carmike multiplex in the Frontier Mall on the north edge of town. I like multiplexes that have entrances right inside the mall itself. I'd forgotten that Cheyenne is full of military personnel from the bases there.

It wasn't a bad little multiplex, all in all, although the walls seemed to be thin. I could hear the booming soundtrack from the movie in the auditorium next door. On the plus side, the stadium seating was much better than the traditional seating of its corporate sibling in Fort Collins.

As for the movie, it's based on a children's book that comes out of the now-familiar Harry Potter tradition of a young person being saved from their boring life and dysfunctional family by outside supernatural influences. Bah.

The story started out ok, but somehow I just got bored watching John C. Reilly as a vampire. I got bored with the teenage kid protagonist. I didn't really care what happened to them. This tends to happen to me in any story in which the plot is driven by supernatural stuff.

Moreover, it's clear that this was, of course, setting up a longer series of stories. I don't really care about it, and unless the book is tremendously popular, it doesn't work (as it didn't in the Golden Compass movie). I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any more movies made in this series.

Update: I was also particularly offended by the needless destruction of classic old theater during the climax of this movie---perhaps a variation on my Laws of Destruction?

Verdict: enough already with the vampires, and the whole supernatural rescue of a kid stuff.

No comments: