Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fallen behind---and now this!

Of course being on the road got me behind on my movie schedules. When I got back to Colorado, one of top priorities was to catch up, but I was so exhausted from travelling that a few movies managed to slip out of the theater before I could see them. This includes the children's fantasy comedy Shorts, which I tried valiantly to see in Fort Morgan on the last day of my trip, but gambled with Food, Inc. in Boulder instead. As it turns out, I could have seen the latter in Estes Park this week. That's the way it goes, trying to play the odds. I'll have to wait for the DVD of Shorts.

It's the "Thursday Game," as I call it. I get lazy during the week and then have to figure out which movies are leaving during the Friday schedule rollover, and then I spent Wednesday frantically putting together a schedule that allows me to see all the "last chance movies" the following day.

It actually wasn't so hard to do with the Google Movies search tool, but for the last couple days, Google Movies is broken hard. It shows only a fraction of the movie theaters, and only an incomplete schedule for the movies that it does have. It seems to be nationwide. I've been coming the message boards about it, and saw a post today from a guy in Madison, Wisconsin complaining about.

That means I have to go to Mr. Movies or Fandango and look at each invidual theater, and painfully load up the schedule for the following weekend, which sometimes you have a pulldown option for already, but then it says "sorry not available yet." I hate that. If they don't have the schedule yet, then don't give me the pulldown option and make me wait for it to load. Arggh. Google Movies, when it worked, was very good this way---a clean, fast-loading interface that provided a one-stop shop for the movie schedules everywhere. I feel blind without it.

So, using the painfully slow method, I managed to learn that I don't have to scramble tomorrow to see a few movies that I thought were going to be leaving for good, but it will nevertheless be a busy day. I get to head down to Denver, specifically to some of the northwest suburbs, to see a few stragglers. Meanwhile so many movies are flooding the theaters. I gotta get caught up. I hate being so far out of the loop.

No comments: