Tuesday, June 9, 2009

La Maison de Verotte

Vero's place, officially called La Maison de Verotte, is about ten miles outside Perpignan, and at least a mile from the nearest town of any size. To get to it, you have to get off the main highway, then travel down a narrow country road, winding through vineyards until you get to the small settlement of Mas Rovira.

Before I arrived, I pictured that it would be hilly, but it turns out to be very flat, since it is located on the seaside plain next to the Mediterranean, at the base of the Pyrenees. The mountains are very close nearby. On the afternoon of the party, Vero led a group (including me) to go swimming in a prehistoric grotto called La Caune d'Arago, where some early paleolithic remains were discovered. It was pouring rain, and freezing, but it was exhilirating.

You'd think that this location would not be convenient to see movies, but you'd be wrong. It turns out one of the few multiplexes in the Perpignan area is located just a mile or so from here. Yesterday (as I write this) I made my first outing...

No comments: