Thursday, June 4, 2009

Keeping up with current releases in Europe

O.K. this is going to be harder than I thought. What I didn´t realize before leaving was that the release dates for most Hollywood movies in Europe often lag weeks and even months behind the United States (I was reading a blog entry complaining that this blindness on the part of the Hollywood studios is a major factor in promoting piracy).

Even before leaving, I´d slipped slightly behind. Amidst all the hullabaloo of getting ready, I didn´t have the gumption to see Next Day Air. Moreover, I pooped out on the day before I left and canceled my trip to see The Soloist. This last one is ironic, since they have been showing the damn trailer to this for nigh onto a year, while repeatedly delaying the release until last month. Moreover, it was showing at the big auditorium in Wilton, giving me the chance to finally attend a screening there, instead of the tiny smaller room. Oh, well.

More dire is that Up, about which everyone is raving, isn´t going to be released in Europe until September (!). I expect that it will still be showing at the second run theaters, if not the first run houses, by the time I get back, which I think will be in July. Also Drag Me to Hell is not being released in this part of Europe until well in July.

So that´s the score right now. It makes me wonder if I´ll wind up getting caught in the squeeze with these movies, in that I´ll leave Europe before they come out, but will arrive come after they´ve left theaters. But I´ll have to cope with it, and use Redbox and Netflix to catch up once I get back, whenever that it. For all I know, I´ll be in Europe long enough to catch all of these.

In that regard, I´m going to have to adopt a very laid-back approach to all this. My goal will be to see movies whenever I can, and not worry about seeing all of them for now. It´s a damn tough adjustment, but I´ll have to make that sacrifice while I´m travelling in sunny Portugal. Alas.

As Hepburn said, "You can´t have it all, you know."

No comments: