Saturday, February 21, 2009

If I picked the Oscars 2008

Here is what I would vote for, among the nominees. These are not my "personal bests" for the year 2008, by and large, and moreover these are not predictions, as I have no idea what will actually win. I have included only the categories in which I have seen all the nominees.

Best Picture: Milk
Directing: Gus Van Sant, Milk
Actor: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler
Actress: Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married
Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Supporting Actress: Marisa Tomei, The Wrestler
Animated Feature Film: Wall-E
Art Direction: Revolutionary Road
Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire
Costume Design: The Duchess
Film Editing: The Dark Knight
Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Music (Score): Defiance
Music (Song): "Jai Ho", Slumdog Millionaire
Short Film (Animated): La maison en petits cubes
Short Film (Live action): The Pig
Sound Editing: The Dark Knight
Sound Mixing: The Dark Knight
Visual Effects: Iron Man
Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Doubt
Writing (Original Screenplay): Frozen River

Easiest calls were in Best Picture, Costume, Makeup, and Actor. Tougher calls were in Actress (Meryl Streep was very, very good, and Melissa Leo---wow), Supporting Actor (Josh Brolin may be the greatest living actor in Hollywood), and Visual Effects (Button was very good).

My big hopes are that Frozen River takes home the Original Screenplay Oscar, and that La maison en petits cubes wins the Animated Short category.

I didn't include Foreign Language film (since I've seen only two of the films), nor Documentary (since I've seen only one), nor Short Film (Documentary), since I've seen none of them. That being said, I would vote for The Class over Waltz With Bashir, and I have no problem with Man on Wire winning. I did manage to see all the trailers for Documentary Short on Youtube, and based on that I think Smile Pinki looks like the most compelling.

No comments: