Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Up to Cottonwood

 Probably the most fun I had while stumbling around was the weekend trip we took on the weekend of the 14th of April, which gave me a chance not only to experience a long car ride as a passenger, as Jessica drove us up I-17 to Cottonwood, but then to spend all day Saturday on an old steam ride as it went up a canyon into the wilderness.

Before we left I was wondering if I would make it. Supposedly my vertigo/nausea combination was what people experience with motion sickness, which I have never experienced in my life, to my recollection. I have never been car sick. I can sleep during any car ride. The worst I get are leg cramps from being cooped up. 

Now would motion sickness catch up to me. I monitored myself as we left on the 101 and headed towards the junction with I-17, and then went northward. It was a beautiful day, not too hot yet. I felt no nausea. So far so good. 

It took a little over an hour to reach our destination. We had been to Cottonwood previously on one occassion and knew it would be a nice get-a-way. Jessica had booked a room in a new hotel there of her own initiative and planned the entire trip. Moreover we have been to Sedona, which is nearby to Cottonwood, on multiple occasions. 

Jessica had gotten a double gift certificate for the train ride for her birthday, as a gift from her mother. She had wanted to use it before the temperature got too hot. She does not do well in the heat (unlike me who thrives in the heat but who shuts down in the cold).

It was only mid April but it was well hot when we parked by our hotel on the street in back. I got out of the car and felt ok at first. Then I grabbed by small backpack and slung it over my shoulder. It was not very heavy, but immediately it sent me reeling like a drunkard, and I almost fell onto the pavement of the street. I felt a wave of nausea and could barely contain myself while standing in the reception as Jessica checked us in. Nevertheless I did not need recourse to vomit. Nevertheless it was a bit of downer, as I wondered if I'd be good company for the weekend.

The next day we drove to the Verde Valley Railroad station---a legacy locomotive, as they call it. At the gift shop I bought a pleasant map of legacy locomotive routes in the United States. I was anticipating an awful experience, sitting on a wooden bunch seat for four hours as we bumped along uneven tracks.

Instead on board the train I found it completely in a lush style with padded seats and small tables and lounges. As I would discover, the purpose of the train ride is to allow oneself to drink from an open moving bar. The bar tender---who yelled her instructions to us at the top of her lungs while standing next to us---implied that she expected all of us to consume our fair share of drinks.

There was free champagne at our little table, in little plastic cups. I picked my own to toast and as I did so, I experienced the weirdest sensation because the sides of the cup began erupting with a fountain of champagne. It took us a second or two to realize my plastic cup was broken along the sides and that by picking it up, I had forced gravity to send it out of the cracks. It was actually beautiful in a strange way, this fountain of champagne.

We probably drank the least of anybody in our car (in all there were 400 people on the train in various similar cars, each with their own bartender). When we got to the turnaround point in the canyon, at a ghost town inaccessible by normal vehicles, she ordered the bartender's special drink for us to share, with ice cream, because it was a desert treat and also we didn't want to keep saying no to the bartender, who probably makes her living off the tips. Times are tough for everyone.

No comments: