Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Hard Pivot to Physics

 As wonderful as Threadfest was, I have to put the experience behind me for the time being and switch my brain over to physics mode. Next month I'll be attending the biennial conference of a physics organization that I've been part of since 1998. We tried to have our conference two years ago in Prague, but like so much of the world, we had to have a virtual conference through Zoom.

This year we are having a real conference, this time in Prague as well. I wasn't sure I'd be able to go until last month, because the Czech Republic entrance requirements legally prevented me from entering (you can probably guess the reason). About a month ago, the requirements were relaxed and now I can enter, so, as I promised, I made the decision to go.

That means I have to prepare a real talk, my first real in-person physics talk in many years. The subject of my talk is going to be quite controversial. People may be yelling at me by the end of it. But I can take it.

I'm also planning to make this trip to Europe about seeing some friends as well. I'm arriving a few days early from the conference and landing in Zurich, to meet some friends in Switzerland. As part of the physics theme, I may be visiting CERN, the particle collider facility near Geneva.

There's so such to do in the next two weeks before I leave. Meanwhile I am so fired up about the next video project I have in mind--a dramatic historical miniseries--and it's hard to break away my creativity from that. 


No comments: