Sunday, June 3, 2018

In which I wake up in a Mexican hotel

Just  spent the morning in a long rambling talk with two physicists whom I had not seen here in twenty years, namely Martin Land and Tepper Gill.  It was marvelous beyond words to see them again.

Both them remembered me from the conference in Houston in 1998. Tepper said I looked younger than then, even though I'd gone grey. I told him it must have been graduate school.

Martin and I spent about two hours talking over breakfast in the hotel before Tepper showed up. The waiter must have refilled our coffee cups half a dozen times, I barely noticed.

As is usual for physicists meeting over breakfast, we talked about everything except physics.

For example, we spent half an hour discussing our mutual interest in the Russian Formalists, as well as the linguistic theories of Roman Jakobson. Martin mentioned that his son had read Jakobson and believed he had one of the forms of aphasia that Jakobson described.

"I just read that essay!" I said.

No comments: